On 10/01/2018 10:32, Gunnar Morling wrote:
Hi Thomas,

What I've found helpful is the ability to amend or override the set of
modules contained in a modular runtime image via --module-path and
--upgrade-module-path.

If you use (Docker) containers to deploy your app, this can be employed
nicely to separate images with your app's dependencies (as a modular
runtime image) and a very thin image with your app itself. Unless your
dependencies change, only the latter one needs to be re-built and
distributed. The "exclude-resources" plug-in comes in handy for omitting
your app from the modular runtime image. I've written about it here:
https://github.com/moditect/moditect/wiki/Creating-dependency-images.

If I understand this correctly then the app module is linked into the run-time image to force its dependences to be linked in. It might be saner to just get its list of `requires` and specify that list to jlink. That way the app module can be specified on the module path (you are otherwise forced to use the upgrade module path to avoid the broken app module in the run-time image).

-Alan