Hi,

> With the "patch modifier"-proposal applied as suggested by Robert,
> this manually constructed test module descriptor:
>
> open module foo {
>   exports foo;
>   requires org.junit.jupiter.api;
> }
>
> from [2] would shrink to:
>
> open patch module foo {
>   requires org.junit.jupiter.api;
> }

While I was involved in the original report, I have concerns about its security.

Would not anyone be able to patch an existing module without the
author's consent?
For example:

patch module org.eclipse.jetty.client {
  exports org.eclipse.jetty.client.internal;
  opens org.eclipse.jetty.client;
}

Doing the same on the command line keeps the end user in control,
rather than having the end user possibly scan hundreds of jar to see
if someone snuck in a patched module descriptor.

However, the need for such "test" module descriptor is evident.

What if patched module descriptors are only effective when a command
line option is present, say "--allow-patch-descriptors", or something
like that?

Thanks!

--
Simone Bordet