----- Mail original -----

Hi Alex,
no you can't because you can not reconstruct a module-info from the flags
--add-modules, --add-reads, etc.

Those flags has been created to patch (mostly the JDK) module metadata so an
application using the classpath can open/patch the JDK modules metadata enough
to be able to run.
The semantics of a module-info is richer than the semantics of the flags, by
example, there is no way to define a transitive dependency or to define a
service.
I believe that roughly half of the semantics of a module-info has no equivalent
in term of flags (and for good reason, those flags have not been created to
describe a module-info).

> No need for --patch-module-descriptor in the JDK.

We need a way to express that the module graph when testing is different from
the one when running in production.
--path-module-descriptor is a way to get that.

> Alex

Rémi