Looks like the ModuleLayer.defineModules is the thing I needed.
With it, I can use my current classloader to load all the modules
and it can find the classes from both module and unnamed module.

However, I'm having some trouble with the ServiceLoader now,
In the configuration, I've called resourceAndBind, but I'm getting
"Provider foo.bar not found"

There is some trick to get a class from an upper layer to bind to the
a class in the boot layer?

Thanks!