[ 
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ARROW-8175?page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel&focusedCommentId=17644561#comment-17644561
 ] 

Kyle Barron commented on ARROW-8175:
------------------------------------

Working with pyarrow in e.g. vscode is really painful at the moment because of 
the lack of user-facing types. vscode can access the top-level functions, but 
then as soon as you create a class, it becomes `Any`. 

{code:python}
import pyarrow.parquet as pq
table = pq.read_table()
table # <-- Any
table. # <-- no auto completions
{code}

This may be a slightly different ask than the title of this ticket, as I'm 
referring to the developer experience while writing the code, not _checking_ 
code. I can create a separate ticket if desired.

For now, I may create my own third-party type hints for this using mypy's 
stubgen

> [Python] Setup type checking with mypy
> --------------------------------------
>
>                 Key: ARROW-8175
>                 URL: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ARROW-8175
>             Project: Apache Arrow
>          Issue Type: Improvement
>          Components: Continuous Integration, Python
>            Reporter: Uwe Korn
>            Priority: Major
>              Labels: pull-request-available
>          Time Spent: 2h 50m
>  Remaining Estimate: 0h
>
> Get mypy checks running, activate things like {{check_untyped_defs}} later.



--
This message was sent by Atlassian Jira
(v8.20.10#820010)

Reply via email to