From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 02 June 2003 15:14
To: JMeter Developers List
Subject: RE: Logging suggestions

Yeah, I looked at this briefly and recognized the same problem with the
classnames.  although 1.8 is dependent on Java 1.4, 1.8.1 is not, and
neither
is 1.9, and too many have let it be known they want to use Java 1.3, so...

Alternatively, these log variables could be instance instead of static vars,
and
instead, LoggingManager could be smarter and keep a hashtable of Loggers
for each class.  Just a thought

-Mike

On 2 Jun 2003 at 14:49, BAZLEY, Sebastian wrote:

> I've now experimented with the changes to the logging system.
> Before submitting patches etc, may I just confirm that the proposed
changes
> are OK?
>
> ==
>
> All relevant files (except LoggingManager.java) are changed as follows:
>
> import org.apache.log.Hierarchy;
>   becomes
> import org.apache.jorphan.logging.LoggingManager;
> (some files already include this line, in which case the original import
> just needs to be deleted)
>
> Hierarchy.getDefaultHierarchy().getLoggerFor( ...
>  becomes
> LoggingManager.getLoggerFor( ...
>
> I was unable to work out how to find out the enclosing class name
> automatically.
> Unfortunately all the methods seem to rely on using "this", which is not
> available for static initialisation.
>
> So as a temporary (?) measure, I changed LoggingManager.getLoggerFor()
> ignore the parameter, and use a Throwable and StackTrackElement to
retrieve
> the calling class name.
>
> This relies on Java 1.4, but that is currently documented as a requirement
> for 1.8.
> Hope that is OK - if not, there are (messier) ways to extract the caller
> name from the stack.
>
> It then became clear that the log records and jmeter.properties lines were
> becoming rather verbose, so I decided to remove the "org.apache." prefix
> from the class name.
>
> The minimal jmeter.properties configuration is now:
>
> log_level.jmeter=INFO
> log_level.jorphan=INFO
>
> log_file=jmeter.log
>
> Any complaints/ further suggestions?
>
> --
> The opinions expressed herein are my own, and are not necessarily
endorsed
> by my employer ...

Michael Stover
[EMAIL PROTECTED]