Just realised - I did code tests to check if there were any entries in
component_reference.xml (or functions.xml) that did not seem to have any
corresponding test element or function.

So the error you saw means that there were 3 entries in component_reference
that did not appear in the test elements.

These could well be due to optional libraries such as BeanShell and BSF.

S.

[...]