I'm seeing the same in Eclipse - perhaps I broke something in the
giant patch r544682.

A work-round might be to put

language=en

in jmeter.properties.

Although en_US should default to en anyway...

Strangely the error does not seem to happen when I start JMeter outside Eclipse.

Not sure what is going on here yet.