I'm still not sure that I know the ins and outs of jmeter to talk about it too
much, but this is where my exploratory coding has taken me so far:

My initial idea (to learn the code) was to replace the functionality of a 3.x
unit test with the ability to run 4.x tests.  I started in JUnitTestSamplerGui
and added some functionality there and in ClassFinder to detect classes that
have methods marked with the @Test annotation.  I then moved on to the
JunitSampler.  I actually just subclassed to an "AnnotatedSampler" to override
the sample method.  The test fixture not being of type TestCase is a bit
awkward, but it is easy enough to make a small test case that executes the
method in question.  That all seems to work, though my test case is failing.
I'm not sure that I have @Before and @After implemented correctly.

I can't get my eclipse debugger to latch, even though I'm launching jmeter from
within eclipse.  I looked around the wikis for advice, but couldn't get it
worked out.  If you have any suggestions on getting that working, I'd
appreciate it.

So the save/load seems to work and the test runs (though not correctly). The
big question in my mind is whether I should wrap the functionality into the
existing junit sampler or make a new junit4 sampler.  I'd lean toward wrapping
the functionality in 1 sampler and having the code figure out what style of
test is being run.  I can't imagine that a user actually cares.  They just want
to run a test.

Any advice is welcome and appreciated.  Thanks for taking the time to review my
approach,
Brian