Hello!

I'm maintaner of jmeter-plugins project at Google Code and love writing
JMeter plugins very much along with using this plugins at my work for
complex load tests.

I'd like to write my own Thread Group plugin with custom threads
starting/stopping logic (step function like LoadRunner), but there's 2
problems:

1.     Thread Groups does cannot be custom, there's fixed code for thread
groups

2.     Start/end time logic placed in JMeterStandardEngine, not ThreadGroup

I can modify JMeterStandardEngine and ThreadGroup code to use new
"Alternative Scheduling" option and send a patch to developers to include in
Jmeter source code, but this is not so elegant way as regular jmeter
plugins. Actually, for now it's the only way for me and I almost implemented
it. But it's ugly way to have an improvement which I cannot share.

I think the best way is make Thread Group regular plugin and delegate thread
scheduling calculation logic to it, then anyone will be able to make any
thread scheduling logic without impact on jmeter source code.

What would you say?

Best wishes,

Andrey Pohilko