On Friday 15 June 2001 13:42, Stuart Skinner wrote:
> Hi souyma
>
> As far as i'm aware JMeter won't do this sort of thing for you. JMeter is
> capable of showing how your application will scale under load but it will
> give you little indication as to where bottelnecks that prevent scaling
> occur. You should look into using a profiling tool such as OptimizeIt or
> JProbe (possibly in conjunction with JMeter to load the system whilst
> testing).

This is correct.  I have used JMeter to load a system while running JProbe to
find where bottlenecks were.  JMeter is perfect for that purpose.  However,
JMeter currently only supports http, JDBC, and FTP (and somewhere I have SMTP
classes lying around that I haven't merged yet).

However, if you can write java, it's not so hard to add your own classes to
do new stuff.  You would have to write, at a minimum, a sampler (which does
the actual calling of your java objects), a controller (which would hold
configuration information and create Entry's to be "executed" by your
sampler), and a GUI for your controller.  Most likely, you'd also have to
create some ConfigElement classes for greater flexibility.

It's not as hard as it sounds once you understand what a SamplerController
does, and what a Sampler does.  Is this something you want to tackle?  If so,
I'm willing to help.

-Mike

> Stu

Mike Stover