so the client machine is the same system as the server?

A dual processor windows2K server is low end to me. High end system
for sql server in my mind is atleast 4 CPU with 4gb+ of RAM.

keep in mind the connection pool limit for sql server is 250.
practically, it's around 200 from my own experience, assuming your
queries take less than 200 milliseconds. keep in mind the worker
thread to cpu ratio for sql server is 2:1.

that means you have a maximum of 4 concurrent queries before sql
server starts to queue up the queries. If you're not using connection
pooling, the default connection time is 150ms. If you are using
connection pooling, it should be 1-5 millisecond to get a connection
from the pool.

if your connections are taking more than 500 ms, it could be it is
denying connections after the first 20 and causing sql server to
behave poorly. you may want to load test sql server first to establish
the connection limit for your specific queries on the hardware. then
you can adjust your web stress test appropriately.

I hope that helps.

peter