yeah, I know what you mean. customers like to pinch pennies, which
makes it hard for developers to do their job effectively. honestly,
for something like https testing, it's going to be hard to avoid
paying for commercial software like Mercury webrunner.

HTTPS performance is linear and very predictable. most of the vendors
have benchmarks comparing software vs. hardware performance.

peter