Had to put the GC back in. So here are the changes I made for
jmeter.bat:
rem set HEAP="-Xms128m -Xmx128m"
rem set NEW=-XX:NewSize=128m -XX:MaxNewSize=128m

set SURVIVOR=-XX:SurvivorRatio=8 -XX:TargetSurvivorRatio=50%
set TENURING=-XX:MaxTenuringThreshold=2
set EVACUATION=-XX:MaxLiveObjectEvacuationRatio=20%
set RMIGC=-Dsun.rmi.dgc.client.gcInterval=600000
-Dsun.rmi.dgc.server.gcInterval=600000
set PERM=-XX:PermSize=64m -XX:MaxPermSize=64m
set DEBUG=-verbose:gc -XX:+PrintTenuringDistribution
set SERV=-server

rem set ARGS=%NEW% %SURVIVOR% %TENURING% %EVACUATION% %RMIGC% %PERM%
%DEBUG%
set ARGS=%SURVIVOR% %TENURING% %EVACUATION% %RMIGC% %PERM% %DEBUG%
%SERV%

rem java %JVM_ARGS% %ARGS% -jar ApacheJMeter.jar %JMETER_CMD_LINE_ARGS%

java %ARGS% -jar ApacheJMeter.jar

I don't get any errors. Also, I don't see where JMETER_CMD_LINE_ARGS or
JVM_ARGS are being set to anything. Works without them................