What happens when you try the Test mail ? Any messages in jmeter.log?

You could double-check the IP address by using Thunderbird, Eudora or
even OE - could it be that the server does not support SMTP?  Try
Telenetting to port 25, and enter the work HELP.

By the way, after startup, any changes to the server settings are not
actioned because of the way the API works. This has been fixed post
2.0.1.

S.