From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, November 16, 2004 4:07 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: newbie can't make HTTP proxy work

Hi, all.

I'm trying to use JMeter to load test our in-house Webmail setup.  I've
gotten as far as a simple test which just hits the server's greeting
page, N times through X threads.  That's helpful, but now I'd like to
run tests that look more like actual user sessions.

I didn't set up our webmail system and don't know much about its guts,
so I thought I'd start by recording a session through JMeter's HTTP
proxy.  I added a proxy to my currently running JMeter instance,
listening on port 8080.  Then, reconfigured my Firefox to use a proxy on
localhost, port 8080, for all requests.

I can browse to google just fine.  Trying to browse to our webmail
server produces a popup window with the error message: "Redirection
limit for this URL exceeded.  Unable to load the requested page.  This
may be caused by cookies that are blocked."

Um, okay, but meanwhile I don't find any evidence that the JMeter proxy
is recording any of this stuff.

My current test plan is called "hammer on webmail".  It has a "Recording
Controller" object under it, which is reflected in the Proxy's settings:
I can set the proxy's "Target Controller" to "hammer on webmail >
Recording Controller" in the pull-down menu.  I've tried other settings
as well, but I don't see any data showing up wherever I look.

Under the recording controller, I've added a few other elements, just to
see what they'd do.  Right now it has an "Assertion Results" listener, a
"Simple Data Writer" (configured to write to a file in /tmp, which has
yet to appear), an "HTTP Request" sampler, an "HTTP Authorization
Manager", and an "HTTP Cookie Manager".  Clicking around in all of
those, I don't see anything that looks like captured data.  Don't know
if I should or not, because the docs I've been able to find don't
describe what I should see from the proxy server or where I should find
it.

Obviously at this point I'm just thrashing, and it's getting me nowhere.
I've tried to RTFM but I don't seem to be looking in the right place(s).
Little help?

Thanks,
-mrj
--
Michael Jinks, ENSA, ENSS, VDN, NSIT, The University of Chicago, world
"If the future's not bright, it's colorful." -- Einsturzende Neubauten