the current implementation does this.

double memdiv = (double)usedMem/(double)totMem;
double memWeight = DEFAULT_MEMORY_FACTOR * memdiv;

the load factor is 50, so as the memory usage increases, memdiv should
get closer to 1. That would mean if the memory used is 90%.

load (blue line) would be 45 + thread weight
memory % (orange line) would be 90

what you should see at runtime, is the load will increase until the
JVM allocates more memory. Once the server reaches a stable point, the
memory usage should remain relatively constant and show a regular
pattern.

http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/jakarta-jmeter/src/monitor/components/org/apache/jmeter/monitor/util/Stats.java?rev=1.9&view=markup

I'll try to run a test at lunch. What kind of behavior do you expect?
I'm not sure I understand  the exact problem you are seeing.

peter