The relevant code appears to be:

      SOAPContext ctx;
      TransportMessage response;
      try {
          // Create response SOAPContext.
          ctx = new SOAPContext();
          // Read content.
          response = new TransportMessage(is, respContentLength,
                                          respContentType, ctx, respHeaders);
          // Extract envelope and SOAPContext
          response.read(); // ****** HTTPUtils.java:382

So it looks like the response Object was not created.
Perhaps some kind of resource shortage?

Any other messages in jmeter.log?

S.