Try it and see?

I think the default sampler may well handle compressed pages (I
remember seeing some code in there).

I'm fairly sure that the Apache HttpClient JMeter sampler code does
not include decompression - however, this may be handled by the
library. Or it may be possible to enable it by defining a property.
There should be info on the Apache website (must admit I've not
noticed it, but I've not looked).

S.