if the target server is tomcat 5.1.19 or newer, jmeter can use the status
servlet to plot the server memory usage.

http://jakarta.apache.org/jmeter/usermanual/build-monitor-test-plan.html

if you're using a servlet container, it's not too hard to port tomcat's
status servlet. I've done it before for weblogic, though I don't have that
code anymore.

peter