The source archive is buildable, but you also need to download the
binary archive, and unpack them in the same directory structure.

Someone who wants to build the code will probably have downloaded the
binary anyway.

When building from scratch, there are some jars in the binary archive
that are not needed, but for building new code, it can be useful to
have the rest of JMeter ready-built.

S.