Ed schrieb:
What are the most relevant target system perameters to look at when testing
a server with j-meter?
Also what tools or system commands are most relevent to execute on the
system under test? If I knew the best system commands to execute, I could
implement a web service to execute them myself.

What we do here is recording the load average (using the uptime command) and the most important values of the vmstat command, both tagged with a time stamp, one measurement of these values per second. We do this by running a simple shell script, and it uses very little system resources. We have a support script that we run after the load tests that takes this recorded data apart and produces several different visualizations of this, using gnuplot.

I don't know how good your shell scripting skills are, but these scripts were implemented and tested in less than a day.

hth, ak