If by defaults, you mean that you have an HTTP Request Defaults
Configuration element in scope, then yes, you will have to ensure that
it is no longer in scope.

You may be able to do this by judicious use of an extra Simple
Controller - put the Defaults there, as well as all the samplers that
need them. But that may just make the test plan horribly
complicated...

You could also file a Bugzilla enhancement request, but that will take
rather longer, though still worth doing ...

S.