I am unable to get past HTTP basic authentication using  HTTP authenticator.

My test plan entails logging into a website using
  http://test.foo.com:8080/FOO/login.jsp

and supplying a username and password.

I have setup a simple HTTP authorization manager with
   Base URL = http://test.foo.com:8080/FOO
   username = admin
   password = secret

While I can login to the page using a browser correctly, my JMeter test
invariably yields the login form as the response: this suggests to me that
either the HTTP Authorization Manager was never invoked in response to
the 401 from the server or that the login was a failure (the latter is unlikely,
since I do not see a 403 in the response listener).

A login form is different from HTTP Authorisation.

HTTP Auth operates at the protocol level, and appears as a pop-up
dialogue box in a browser.

A login form is a normal HTML form; use POST with the appropriate
parameters to submit the login details. You probably also need to add
a Cookie Manager.

I would appreciate any suggestions on finding the root cause of this problem.
I am attaching the JMX file.

Regards

/U