OK, in that case I think there is a work-round.

If you use parameters with values but *no names*, then HttpClient (and
Java http) will include the values in the POST body as is with no
encoding or equals signs.

(This does not appear to be documented anywhere ... oops!)

You can test this by using the Mirror server.

Also, I suggest you update to 2.3; that has some fixes over 2.3RC4.

S.