Hello sebb, thanks again for pointing me in the right direction. I have put the
javamail 1.4 mailapi.jar in the api directory. And, I have changed the value of
the javamail.jar property to: mailapi.jar. Now, when I press the Test Mail
button in the MailVisualizer Listener JMeter does not hang or freeze but I do
get an error dialog and an OK button (Error occurred sending the email smtp).
The jmeter.log output is as follows:

ERROR - jmeter.visualizers.MailerVisualizer: Couldn't send mail...
javax.mail.NoSuchProviderException: smtp
        at javax.mail.Session.getService(Session.java:780)
        at javax.mail.Session.getTransport(Session.java:718)
        at javax.mail.Session.getTransport(Session.java:661)
        at javax.mail.Session.getTransport(Session.java:641)
        at javax.mail.Session.getTransport(Session.java:696)
        at javax.mail.Transport.send0(Transport.java:186)
        at javax.mail.Transport.send(Transport.java:118)

sebb wrote ..