Hi Kirk,

Thanks for your reply - that's actually what we're going for. I was maybe a bit too stuck on replicating the functionality of the clients. :) Additionally our servers are identical so testing one of them should give a good indication of the two others...

Still - it would be interesting to know if there's an easy way to actually make the described problem happen in JMeter. :)

Take care,
Magnus

kirk wrote:
Hi Magnus,

I think you can simply the problem by consider this. If your clients "randomly" select a web server to talk to and they do this using a flat distribution, you could assume that you will get a 1/3 split of clients going to each webserver. The easy way to manage this is to divide your clients in 3 groups and have each group hit a different server.

Regards,
Kirk

Magnus Olstad Hansen wrote:
Hello,

I'm trying to stress test a server net where we have 3 webserver nodes. Loadbalancing is done by our client side application (that is, each client randomly selects which of the webnodes it'll talk to). To test this correctly I wanted to create the same behavior in JMeter - but preferrably without setting up my rather long list of request once per each server. So I thought the following test plan would do the trick (see the lines with *):

- Test Plan
-- Thread Group
--- Random Controller *
---- HTTP Request Defaults (www1) *
---- HTTP Request Defaults (www2) *
---- HTTP Request Defaults (www3) *
--- HTTP Get
--- HTTP Get
--- HTTP Post
--- Loop
(blah blah blah)

However - this does nothing. Not a single request is sent. I did not understand much until I suspected that no server were set by the "HTTP Request Defaults" config elements in the random controller. So I tried inserting another "HTTP Request Defaults" before the Random Controller - and it works.

I suppose the problem is that the config block only applies to its parent level (ie the Random Controller). Any tips on how to get a setup like this to work?

Thanks for your time!
Magnus