Please help before I go mad.

I am using jmeter to create data. I have my counters that start from X
number and they are suppose to go up by one.
I have a loop controller that is going to be executed 4 times. Each
time my counter is supposed to increment by one so that the next call
gets a new number. BUT surprise!!!, the first loop work the second
does not. When I check the request is because is using the same number
as the first one.  What little jmeter magic am I missing????