On 03/02/2009, Axel Knauf <axel.kn...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi.
>
>  I am currently trying to setup some remote test cases with the following
> setup:
>  - 2 linux Tomcats and 1 linux Apache as target hosts to be tested
>  running our web app
>  - 2 separate linux hosts running the jmeter-server to generate load on
>  the target hosts
>  - 1 linux client running the controlling jmeter instance in non-gui
>  mode (all via SSH sessions)
>
>  I am using the JMeter 2.3.2 stable release and all the linux boxes are
>  in the same network subnet, but separated by firewalls currently only
>  allowing ports 8080 and 1099 to get through. On the load generators I
>  am using the default jmeter.properties and the rmiregistry gets
>  started on default port 1099. On the controlling host, I have set the
>  following properties in the jmeter.properties file:
>
>  --------------------------
>  remote_hosts=10.30.23.63:1099 (only using one load generator for testing)
>  server.rmi.port=1099 (this would not be necessary, since it is the default)
>  --------------------------
>
>  When trying to connect with the controlling jmeter instance, I get
>  ConnectExceptions due to timeouts in the jmeter.log file. When looking
>  at the listening ports on the load generator host, I see that it is
>  listening on the rmiregistry port and an additional anonymous port:
>
>  --------------------------
>  # netstat -lnp | grep java
>  tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:51910           0.0.0.0:*
>  LISTEN      26862/jav
>  tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:1099            0.0.0.0:*
>  LISTEN      26862/jav
>  --------------------------
>
>  Obviously the RMI lookup gets dispatched to a separate port, which I
>  would assume to be the usual behavior. But nevertheless the firewall
>  will block this (random) free port since we cannot predict and enable
>  it in the firewall. One approach was to adjust the JMeter code to use
>  a custom SocketFactory[0] for RMI interaction which will always
>  provide a custom configurable port number as described in [1]. But at
>  this I am currently stuck and do not want to spend too much time.
>
>  So, finally - my question: Has anyone already set up clean remote test
>  cases using a proxy-based solution for tunneling the RMI connections
>  through the inter-host firewall as described in the distributed
>  testing guide [3]? And if not, has anyone already patched the JMeter
>  code to provide custom port numbers for the actual service calls? (Or
>  would one even have to exchange the SocketFactory for rmiregistry
>  since this might be where the dispatching occurs?)
>
>  For forwarding ports I could use SSH tunnels but I am not sure if this
>  would a too great an impact on the load testing performance.
>
>  Any help on this issue is greatly appreciated. If any facts are
>  missing please simply ask.

Seems to me that the simplest solution would be to abandon trying to
use client-server mode and just run the tests as non-GUI JMeter
instances on each of the servers.

You just need to copy the test script to the servers. And then copy
the output files back to a common machine for analysis. The server
clocks should be synchronised as closely as possible (this is true for
client-server mode as well).

If you want to synchronise the starting times, then you can use a
shell script (e.g. from the client) to start the remote JMeters in
quick succession.

Note that non-GUI mode uses fewer resources than client-server mode.

Otherwise, you will need to open up the firewalls.