hi
Depends on what you want out of your test and on other factors
a. Do you want to find out if there are logical/functional problems when
your application is accessed concurrently only, then you can exclude static
files
b. Do you want to see generally how your application responds to different
loads and how well it scales, then you can exclude static files
c. If you need to figure out to a reasonable degree of accuracy , how much
time a page takes (perhaps to see if your response time SLA's are met )then
you might need to consider these if
         a. You do not have a separate webserver for your static content v/s
your app
         b. You do not have caching headers configured for your static
content
Note that even in this case you cant really measure browser render times,
browser cache behaviors, proxy caches etc all of which will influence the
response time. The browser will also execute some requests in parallel.If
this is your requirement, You might consider using a different tool for your
test which actually drives the browser and records it.

Im  sure other factors/scenarios exist as well.
regards
deepak