Using Soap/XML-RPC sampler seemed to get me a step closer. At least I
got an error message in the results file. Using...

soap:Envelope xmlns:soap="http://www.w3.org/2003/05/soap-envelope";
  xmlns:wsin="http://login_package/webservice";>
    <soap:Header/>
    <soap:Body>
       <wsin:Logon>
          <login>foo</login>
          <password>bar</password>
       </wsin:Logon>
    </soap:Body>
  </soap:Envelope>

produced the following result:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<testResults version="1.2">
<httpSample t="364" lt="362" ts="1255441322093" s="false" lb="Login
Request" rc="500" rm="Internal Server Error" tn="LoginTest 1-1"
dt="text" by="788"/>

</testResults>

Note: I can execute the same request using SoapUI 2.5.1 with no errors
so I don't think it is a server problem.

Any further suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.