I do have KeepAlive on all of the requests.  Should I have this enabled or
disabled and for all or some of the requests?   What does it do?  I searched
documentation but can't find a definitive answer.

for 2nd question --- I will be investigating this further today / tomorrow.
and will update .  Is there a hardware requirement for JMeter??  -- also
searched but can't find.

Machines I am running on have 512 and 1gb ram and 2.2 celerons and 2.4 P4s
respectably.

thanks!!!