The other two options in this case are
a. use the http://code.google.com/p/jmeter-plugins/wiki/SteppingThreadGroup(but
youll have to use the nightly build JMeter)
b. Because your requirement is pretty straightforward i.e. 5 threads a
minute to a max of 100 threads why not define 100 threads with a rampup
period of 12 seconds (so that 5 threads are created per minute , but not 5
at once - and really this shouldnt matter)