Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/deicool

"Contribute to the world, environment and more : http://www.gridrepublic.org
"

On Tue, Nov 2, 2010 at 6:46 PM, Felix Frank <f...@mpexnet.de> wrote:

> Hi Deepak,
>
> to answer both your concerns:
>
> 1. Yes, it does even out. In the case of real users, requests will arive
> in "groups" of, say, 8 parallel requests, but your server still has to
> service them. 100 clients on a page with 20 embedded resources will make
> 2000 requests. The fact that real users do them in parallel matters
> little. To the servers, there are far more requests than it can actually
> handle in parallel, so serialization *will* happen.

This is a case of poor capacity planning if the the servers cannot handle
the load. Ideally there should be as little serialization as possible which
ensures high customer satisfaction. If there are past examples of poor
performing systems which you have come across, that doesnt mean the future
has to be the same too.

> To put it differently: Given enough threads, the server sees high
> parallelism in requests, and there is no need for the client to try and
> introduce a "higher" degree of parallelism. The server won't notice a
> difference.

The server wont notice a difference but the real time clients would. There
is a need for stimulating actual customer behavior otherwise it would be
hardly any high quality load testing.

> 2. Please see the earlier thread. Deepak Shetty explained in-depth why
> Jmeter (nor any other tool any of us know of) will give you an exact
> estimation. I believe it was this thread:
>
> http://jmeter.512774.n5.nabble.com/Test-plan-for-970-page-requests-every-5-min-td2826174.html#a2834078

If there are no tools currently in the market, then we should build such
tools. Because customers like reality!