Hi
After the sampler with the assertion executes use
http://jakarta.apache.org/jmeter/usermanual/component_reference.html
${JMeterThread.last_sample_ok} to check the value (you have to use this
immediately (so if you need it later use it to set a variable or something
immediately). Note that this checks whether a particular sampler succeeded
or failed, it doesnt  check a particular assertion. If you need that
functionality there a thread in the mail archive that has some sample java
code that shows you how to do this

regards
deepak