I'm thinking of running multiple jmeter processes on a single machine, up to
20. My testing so far has not highlighted any issues with this in principle
- I can execute the same jmx file over multiple java processes and I am
careful to write to separate jtl files.

The reason I'm taking this approach is to meet a requirement for a test
simulating a very large number of concurrent connections for an application
using long-polling. My test is extremely simple: one GET request which is
held open by the server for 15 seconds and then immediately resent, that's
it. Running this test does not create a heavy load on the machine JMeter
runs on - the throughput is low - but I am not able to run more than about
1000 threads within a single JM process (I get OOM errors past that). I need
quite a lot more than 1000 so by vertically scaling multiple JM processes I
am aiming to have each physical machine hold open about 10-20,000
connections and then scale these out horizontally to get the load I need.

Doable?

-----
http://www.http503.com/