Well I did some more testing and I have to say that I'm still confused. All
I can figure is that I am misunderstanding how the constant throughput timer
works.

I was able to configure the throughput timer to get the same results as I
did without it (6000 req/sec) but I had to set the total throughput value on
the timer to be really high (about 2,000,000 req/min). I would think the
number should be around 360,000 but for some reason that's not enough. This
is using the "all active threads in the current thread group" mode.

I tried using the "this thread only" mode. I set the test up with 200
threads and the throughput timer to have each thread run at 1800 req/min.
According to my understanding, that is 200 threads each pumping out 30
requests per second for a total of 6000 requests per second. Under this
configuration my total throughput was only 1400 requests per second. I had
to jack up the timer's setting to 22,000 req/min to get the proper
throughput.

I don't get this. Clearly the server is capable of providing the throughput
that I'm looking for. Why do I have to set the timers in such weird ways to
get the throughput to the desired level?