On 14 September 2011 17:57, Nicholson, Brad (Toronto, ON, CA)
<bnichol...@hp.com> wrote:
> [...]

https is much more expensive in connection setup

>> Are you sure that the Jenkins Performance plugin is measuring samples,
>> and not JMeter startup time?
>
> I'm sure it's not.  I've confirmed by checking the raw output files written
> by Jmeter.  To completely eliminate other moving pieces, I've re-run the test
> repeatedly directly from Jmeter and I see the same behavior.

The only thing I can think of that might be causing the problem is the
connection setup.
First time JMeter init for a connection will be slightly slower, but
should barely be noticeable; it will be the external stuff that takes
the most time.
And that will apply to browsers as well.

Does the additional time apply to other target hosts?

Which sampler are you using?

Are you using Keep-Alive?
If you switch it off, each sampler will have to create the connection
anew, so I would expect all the samples to take longer.

AFAIK, JMeter itself does not do any expensive first-time init for
either https or http (obviously if it does that should be fixed to
exclude that time).
However connections do have a setup overhead, which will apply to any
application, including browsers, and need to be included in the JMeter
sample time.