Just wanted to say this is interesting topic. Made me aware of this meta
refresh simulation issue in non-browser tools that I hadn't thought of.

I can see this would also apply to page redirection done with javascript as
well, window.location = newUrl; with something like an HTML body onload
event.

For simplifying JMeter test and more modern approach, the developers should
have utilized HTTP (server based) redirection rather than the meta refresh.
Not sure how to set that up on server side. But for JMeter, you can
configure it to follow those HTTP 302 redirections, which is on by default
for HTTP samplers. Then no need to deal with the messy extraction of meta
tag URLs.