Rather than use a proxy or as Bruce mentions when proxying is
blocked/excluded, or when dealing with Flash, Silverlight, and Java
applets, you might try this solution I used:

http://www.codeproject.com/KB/perl/webautomaton.aspx

A knowledgeable person can even modify the sample parser script in that
solution to generate a JMeter test plan instead of Perl based script from
the HTTP traces. The generated test plan would be much like using the HTTP
Proxy server and recording controller of JMeter. Without a parser, you can
just manually review the HTTP traces to construct your test plan with HTTP
samplers the manual way.