[switching to jmol-developers list]

Egon,

Great.

I just added support for Amber molecular dynamics file loading -- 1(topology
file) + n(coordinate file) and with the FILTER option and a new option to
allow selective "first,last,step" loading of coordinate trajectories, Jmol
should be significantly useful in that area. That's in 11.7, not 11.6. First
test is encouraging.

Also, I spent the weekend writing an AVI video creator. I learned a lot,
mostly how difficult it is to create real video animations. Alas, I can
write AVI files, but the JPG files required for those are a special type
that the JpgEncoder in Jmol doesn't write (at least by default). I'd try to
fix that, but then I learned that Quicktime doesn't read AVI files of this
sort, and there are other issues as well. Mostly I was just trying another
angle. I've left the code in there commented out in case we ever revive that
idea. I think I'll give up on the JPG  --> MJPEG idea. It has no support in
the video community, and apparently it was created ad hoc with no real
specifications. Just a royal pain.

Probably the only dependable way to do this is as an animated GIF. But then
I have to figure out how to approximate the colors of Jmol within a
256-color set. No simple solution that I see for that. (Rolf, I haven't
looked into http://www.imagemagick.org yet.)

Question: Would people be interested in an animate GIF producer from spin,
vibration, navigation, script, or (what else?) operations?

Bob

On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 5:42 AM, Egon Willighagen <
[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 27, 2008 at 6:33 PM, Robert Hanson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I'm hoping we can release 11.6 Wednesday. Please finish all translations
> and
> > notify me of bugs before then.
>
> Translated applet and app into NL. Quite a few textual changes...
>
> Egon
>
> --
> ----
> http://chem-bla-ics.blogspot.com/

Robert M. Hanson
Professor of Chemistry
St. Olaf College
1520 St. Olaf Ave.
Northfield, MN 55057
http://www.stolaf.edu/people/hansonr
phone: 507-786-3107

-- Josiah Willard Gibbs, Lecture XXX, Monday, February 5, 1900