Matt, I did check this out more carefully, and I see now that there was a
bug in Jmol for appended trajectories. It's fixed, but it's in Jmol 11.7.3,
which has not been released yet. If you are interested in getting a look at
this, take a look at

http://chemapps.stolaf.edu/jmol/docs/examples-11/new.htm?topic=1

JAR files for 11.7.3 are in
http://chemapps.stolaf.edu/jmol/docs/examples-11/Jmol-11.zip

Bob

-- Josiah Willard Gibbs, Lecture XXX, Monday, February 5, 1900