Bugs item #3440852, was opened at 2011-11-21 12:36
Message generated for change (Comment added) made by hansonr
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=379133&aid=3440852&group_id=23629

not just the latest update.
Category: File Input/Output
Group: None

Initial Comment:
downloaded output example file from;
http://jmol.sourceforge.net/demo/3dscenes/Ala.x3d

and i notice that it has a lot of duplicated geometry, doesn't effect look but
does slow down rendering.

Date: 2011-11-21 16:47

Message:
DEF/USE is saving HUGELY on space. The files aren't meant to be edited by
hand. Why not just create your own files from alanine. For example:

load ==ALA
write ala.x3d

Comment By: simon (simonplace)
Date: 2011-11-21 16:47

Message:
so thinking bout it, maybe a switch, particularly with the old styte VRML
output, for not using DEF/USE, would be really nice.

Comment By: simon (simonplace)
Date: 2011-11-21 16:44

Message:
and, in a related point, with all the DEF/USE in there it makes it quite
difficult to edit the files by hand, and i don't see much, if any, benefit
in it, just directly using the built-in spheres and cylinders all the way
through, would result in hardly any bigger file, but a MUCH more readable
and editable one.

Comment By: simon (simonplace)
Date: 2011-11-21 16:37

Message:
i did, i was reporting the problem to be helpful, actually all i did was
remove all the small spheres in the block altogether, they all seemed
redundant, as they are inside the big spheres, i did think they might be
there for switching between visualisation forms, but not  fully implemented
or something, so i didn't report that.

no particular file needed but a range would be nice, i dont really want to
start editing them all, it defeats the point, i'll go look for x3d
molecules on google again.

Comment By: Bob Hanson (hansonr)
Date: 2011-11-21 16:28

Message:
If you need that particular file, just pull out the duplicates yourself.
There can't be that many; it's only 200 lines, right?

Comment By: simon (simonplace)
Date: 2011-11-21 16:23

Message:
OK.

any way to know where to find a new x3d file?

Comment By: Bob Hanson (hansonr)
Date: 2011-11-21 16:17

Message:
Oh, I see. These are the small spheres that cap the bonds. That was fixed
some time ago; this file is old, that's all.

name='generator' content='Jmol 11.9.23  2010-01-28'

Ancient history!

Comment By: simon (simonplace)
Date: 2011-11-21 16:08

Message: