:tim wrote

> AFAIK (again), xyz files are generally useful for small molecules but not for
> larger macromolecules.  but maybe that's not quite accurate?

Well, it is not so much the size that matters, as does the extra
information a pdb file carries for proteins:
e.g. secondary structure, amino acid labels, chains, models, and connect
records.
For non-proteins only the latter apply: bonding information in HETATM
lines.
Could be very usefull in small molecules too, for instance to show
double bonds.
Which opens new vistas!
Currently in Chime XYZ animations we can't show multiple bonds, but if
we equate PDB NMR Models to XYZ frames it could be possible to define
the bonding scheme for each separate structure!
How to create such PDB models (from computational packages) is another
question; I'm willing to edit the files by hand if need arises.

I don't recall: was it ever discussed to finetune the distance criteria
in JMol in order to decide upon the bond type?

Hens