On Aug 17, 2005, at 9:08 AM, Miguel wrote:
color <object> monomer was also broken.

Frieda ... note that I think that you may want to be using 'color <object>
monomer' instead of 'color <object> group'

'group' uses the position of the group (residue) relative to its chain as
defined in the .pdb file.

'monomer' uses the position of the monomer relative to the polymer.

I.e., 'monomer' sees the first monomer in a polymer as number 1, and counts from there, instead of seeing the first one as whatever it is numbered in the pdb file? I do not know whether this accounts for "color group" in Chime resulting sometimes in chains that do not have the full spectrum of color in them, but it would be nice if this is a way to avoid that.

The 'monomer/polymer' mechanism should be more robust than the
'group/chain' ... an example:

Let's say that you have a chain that is cleaved into separate chunks.
Using group/chain they will still be considered a single chain.

Jmol recognizes this broken chain as two separate polymers, so using
monomer/polymer the coloring will correctly show the two polymers.

OK. This provides a nice set of options for color. Thanks for the explanation- very helpful.

Note that Jmol will not currently 'merge' two (or more) chains that are
bonded to form a single polymer.

OK.

Frieda

Frieda Reichsman, PhD