Hello Richard

I think you are safe using Jmol 10.00 (I have pages that use it), but you need
to take one of
two courses of action:

1) If you want to write your <APPLET> tags, as you are doing now, you need to
follow Jmol's
request for a full set of instructions, which is what the yellow pane is
telling you (namely, add
a <param name=progressbar  etc.)

2) You can avoid that, make things easier and improve compatibility with future
updates by
using the recommended method: use Jmol.js. In this case, you don't write the
APPLET tag,
you just call Javascript scripts such as jmolInitialize() and jmolApplet()
Read "Jmol.js
JavaScript Library" documentation at http://jmol.sourceforge.net/jslibrary/ to
know how
exactly to use it. I can help you if you need.

> My server error log repeatedly shows that I am missing the following files:
> jmol/ui/JmolPopupWords.class
> jmol/ui/JmolPopupWords_en.properties
> jmol/ui/JmolPopupWords_en.class
> jmol/ui/JmolPopupWords_en_GB.properties
> jmol/ui/JmolPopupWords_en_GB.class

I cannot help about these.

> Conceivably I have done something wrong when unpacking Jmol-10.00, possibly
> resulting in a messy directory hierarchy. Can anyone tell me what should be
> where?

I don't think you have done anything wrong in this respect.

> A possibly related question: what should be the location of Jmol.js and
> under what circumstances is a codebase definition necessary?

As advised by Nico, Jmol.js can be anywhere as long as you refer to it.
Regarding the jar
file(s), if you run pages form a web server they can be anywhere too, but if
you want to use
local files (such as hard disk or a CD), jmolapplet.jar(s) must be above the
molecular model
files in the folder hierarchy --or in the same folder--. I get good results
putting both the jar(s)
and Jmol.js in the top-level (or root) folder of the pages'  folder structure.

You are welcome to write me off-list if you want some more help.