De: Daniel Leidert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

>> Attached is what I have been able to do with the translation so far. I
>> simply edited the files with Notepad under Windows, there seemed to be
>> need to install poedit (or would that give me more insight into
>> anything?).
>
>poedit is - the name already says it - an editor, which is intended to
>be used for gettext po files. It is a very special editor for such
>files. But every other editor is also fine. There is just one
>requirement: The editor _MUST NOT_ add any control characters except for
>e.g. newline. MS Word is definitely an editor, which CANNOT be used for
>this work.

poEdit really helps editing the translation by clearly showing what needs to be
translated. But Notepad should work also.

>> and b) definitely a
>> test setup so the messages can be seen in the context of the
>> application.
>
>Don't you have an environment to build Jmol on Windows?
>
>> I have basic Eclipse experience so I'll work through the
>> steps tonight.
>
>You will further need gettext for Windows (and if you run the default
>target, you will probably also need the applications mentioned at
>http://wiki.jmol.org/index.php/Internationalisation#Translating_the_Applet-.2C_User-_and_Developers-Guide).

I have update the Eclipse page, it should be self sufficient:
http://wiki.jmol.org/index.php/Eclipse

>> * What happens if I think an English message might need slight changes?
>
>Tell it the list. I still think that e.g. "AtomSetChooser" is a real bad
>string. So if you find more such strings, write it to the list.

Yes, the Java source code needs to be changed.

It won't be changed for 10.2 because it will require to modify all translations
after that, but suggestions are welcome for next versions.

>> I assume msgids coincide with the text displayed in English,
>
>No. The coincide with the text found in the source. (x)gettext parses
>the Java source and extracts all translatable strings. It does not know,
>what strings it extracts nor in which language they are written.

Yes to both in fact:
- msgid is the english text
- msgid is the key to find the translation

>> but I don't
>> suppose I can just go ahead and change ids in the German PO file.

No, never change the msgid or the translation won't be used (or the msgid will
be reverted to it's original value by gettext tools)

>The attachment is forwarded to the list too.

Do I include it in the source or do I wait for the next version ?

Nico