At 5/5/06, you wrote:
It's probably time I told people about some of the prototype Jmol.js niceties in
 <http://www.stolaf.edu/people/hansonr/jmol/test/proto/Jmol-new.js>

Dear Bob,

This all looks extremely useful. At last there is a mechanism to keep track of when the applet has completed a task! And better yet, whether it completed the task successfully.

1. Is there any way to tell when the applet is initially loaded and ready for the first script? My inability to do this caused lots of head scratching when I began designing FirstGlance.

2. Is there any way to tell when the Protein Data Bank does not supply the PDB file requested in a load command? FirstGlance presently just leaves a blank applet (white, Jmol frank disappears), a very ungraceful failure.

Unfortunately, I cannot immediately take advantage of the new jmol.js ...

3. LACK OF JMOL.JS DOCUMENTATION. When I started coding FirstGlance, I decided not to use jmol.js. This was partly because it didn't support some functions I needed, but mainly because it is undocumented and I was afraid to use it. From inspection of the contents of jmol.js, it appears to do some sort of browser/java version testing, but I cannot tell what this is supposed to accomplish. Until someone documents the situations this is supposed to handle and what it is attempting to do, I will continue to be reluctant to use jmol.js for FirstGlance. I want to avoid a situation where a (common) client situation that I haven't tested causes an unanticipated failure mode. For example, no java in Windows, or a very old version of java. Right now, FirstGlance would fail to work at all, or to work correctly, without any explicit error messages. That is certainly not optimal. But I can't tell whether jmol.js would do better.

One bit of code in jmol.js that particularly concerns me (and is inscrutable to me) is this:

  windowsClassId: "clsid:8AD9C840-044E-11D1-B3E9-00805F499D93",
  windowsCabUrl:
   "http://java.sun.com/update/1.5.0/jinstall-1_5_0_07-windows-i586.cab";,

I wish someone would explain to me what this is designed to do, and how I could test it.

More generally, I think we need thorough on-line documentation, in one place, on what jmol.js is designed to do, how to use the functions in it, etc.

-Eric