Ok, I see I am late for this thread, but just want to put my two Euro
cents :)

1.- I recall having problems with atom names starting by number
(before the H); I think I had to solve them with the ? wildcard
trick. Good that Bob found its origin and fix.

2.- I agre with the findings with * ; sometimes it does not work as
expected (likely as Bob says, after the period), but using ? fixes
it.

3.- I did write some doc for myself regarding atom expressions, based
on reading, testing and experiencing; maybe not extensive or fully
correct, but I will try to dig it out and put it...where? In the
Wiki, for now. Somebody can insert it later into official doc.

4.- Regarding
                *.\d not being allowed
in logic, you should put something after the dot, or nothing at all:
use either *.*\d  or just  *\d
the first one possibly fails due to already discussed about *
AND it must be forward slash, not backslash, right? I have had this
error before.

Regards