By interpolation between frames, I mean: an option, in the animation
menu, to create a number of "transition" frames between two frames in
an animation to make it look smoother. This is how it was described
to me:

"I don't know how it work under the hood, but in the jmol 9 that I
use, when you open the Extras->Animate panel, you can check
'interpolate between frames', and choose the number of frames that it
will add between the ones you have loaded."

Googling it turned up this alone: http://thomas.kuehne.cn/references/
jmol.diff.

Weird? Maybe this was a branch that didn't catch on or something, but
if it in fact is not implemented in Jmol 10, I could take a stab at it.